Tim’s latest (at time of writing, natch!) podcast is an interview with Derek Sivers.
If you haven’t heard of him, join the club. However, Derek is an interesting guy – both in terms of his business ideas and his ideas about how to live live.
As a teaser, here are – in chronological order – 20 things you can learn from this episode:
* 2 unique types of advice Derek gives Tim, when Tim asks for a “sanity check”.
* If you’re early in your career, follow this advice to maximise opportunities.
* A 4-word sentence that dissolves stage fright.
* A Kurt Vonnegut sentence that taught Derek how to be confident in any situation.
* “The standard pace is for chumps” – why, if you don’t set your own pace, you could waste years of your life.
* The specific steps Derek took that allowed him to graduate from Berkley College of Music in 2 years instead of 4. These tricks work for most subjects at most colleges.
* “Relaxing for the same result” – how Derek went from being stressed and miserable, to enjoying himself… with only a 4.5% drop off in results. An essential lesson for any type A personality.
* How one silly email – that took 20 minutes to write – created positive buzz on thousands of blogs.
* One question to ask yourself that’ll help you create the best product or service in your industry.
* Instant pay raise – when you can charge 40% higher prices without creating price resistance.
* Stick or twist? Derek’s 4-word credo that tells him when to grab an offer, and when to wait for something better.
* The secret to effective delegation. Do this and you’ll never have to micro-manage.
* 2 simple rules for healthy eating.
* Why boldly expressing strong opinions helps others – even those who will never agree with you.
* Why paying more for the exact same product or service can give you better value for money.
* How to thrive in an unknowable future.
* Make a decision today? Or wait until the last minute? Derek gives blunt advice on planning.
* Rich and happy? Just follow these 9 easy rules and you, too, can be broke and miserable.
* What’s the cause of most misery in our lives? And how to fix it.
* “Don’t be a donkey!” – how these four words can solve your career dilemmas.
You can download the podcast here: